You have a dream to be in control of your own destiny, to open the wellbeing business of your dreams.
So what is stopping you?
Fear, responsibilities the economy, not enough knowledge? The fear of being judged by family and friends? These are all valid reasons for not taking the plunge and starting. But yet the desire is still in you – the idea of not bringing your gifts to the world just doesn’t feel right.
So bearing all of this is mind, when is the time right to jump with both feet into self-employment and the wellbeing business of your dreams?
I think this is a great question. In my opinion the right time is NOW. If you wait for the “right time” you may find it never happens. Now, when I say this, I am not suggesting you quit your job tomorrow and put all your savings into your new business without some prior thought!
The odds are you have financial and family responsibilities.
For most of us starting a business is a calculated risk, so what should we consider when we decide to follow our passion?
Here are my top five questions to ask yourself before taking the plunge.
1. Could you make a start whilst working your regular job? There is nothing to say you can’t follow your wellbeing passion and work a paid job for a while or even take a part time job to make ends meet.
2. Do you have some savings? If the answer is yes, how much of this are you prepared to risk and how much do you need to live on for 6 months to a year?
3. Have you done your research and planning? A large number of business owners jump into self-employment without testing the market. You may have the best idea in the world and your heart and intuition may be screaming at you to make the jump BUT DO YOUR MARKET RESEARCH AND CHECK YOU ARE RIGHT!
4. Do you have all the skills you need to run a business? I don't just mean a qualification in your chosen therapy. Not having all the skills doesn’t mean you can’t start but, you need to be honest with yourself about what areas you need to improve in. (Being in business is a learned skill)
5. Now this is a big one, and often gets neglected. Do you have the energy required to do this? We all have differing amounts of energy and you will need a lot energy to set up in business. Ask yourself what adjustments will you need to make to set up in business? You don’t necessarily have to be jumping around like a spring chicken, but you do have to be honest with yourself.
So once you have considered these questions and your heart is still saying I have a calling I need to follow it, then do it! Make your dreams a reality.
“If you wait for the right time or the good times to start a business you wait all your life”. Fran Tarketon
Many of my mentoring clients start their wellbeing business whilst employed either full or part time, they then reach a point where they are ready to commit fully. They experience the frustration, that lack of head space to give even more to their dream, and they feel the frustration and the fear in equal measures. This is the time you have reached your edge you are ready to grow to the next level to be a little closer to who you are.
I loved writing this blog because I am a huge believer in living your dreams, your values and your passion. I believe to make this happen we need to ground all of this in the world, whether that is through research, planning or working with a coach.
I hope reading this blog has inspired and helped you with your business in some way.
If you would like more help to start or grow your wellbeing business then check out my book